Monday, August 13, 2012

Food: Food and Friends

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

People are often referred to me for "financial assistance."  When I realized there was very little I could do to put more cash in people's hands, I began to problem solve.  Which of their expenses could I help them cut so they could have more cash?  I found myself asking them about all sorts of issues and found that Food and Friends was one of the best resources I could offer.  If someone can save 50-100 dollars per month on food, they would have more money for the other important items they needed.

Website: http://www.foodandfriends.org

Criteria: Have a diagnosis of cancer (any type) or HIV/AIDS.  Here is their eligibility check list.

Geography: They serve people in DC, MD and Northern Virginia.

Tricks of the Trade:

  1. Quin Grier (sGrier (at) foodandfriends (dot) org) the intake coordinator is awesome.  Call her with any questions.  She returns messages quickly and is very knowledgeable about other services if your clients doesn't meet the qualifying criteria for Food and Friends.
  2. The food has to be handed off to a person and cannot be left on a door step or stoop in an apartment building.  Make sure the client understands this and has someone who can pick up the food if they are unable for some reason.
  3. The client can choose from prepared meals or groceries.  I've found that some people prefer to cook their own food, as would I.
Has Quin been as big a help to you as she has to me?  Did you know they served people with only HIV/AIDS and cancer?  Leave a comment...make this post better.

No comments:

Post a Comment